Can dreams come true?
Mommy stayed quiet for a while. She didn't try to fill the silence. Her pet was still curled against her, breathing slowly, apparently trying to get used to the fact that she'd actually said it out loud. After everything she'd kept hidden, there was no taking it back now.
Mommy gently ran her fingers through her hair.
“Look at me,” Mommy said.
Her pet lifted her eyes.
“Yes, Mommy.”
“Good.” Mommy smiled faintly. “Stay with me.”
Her pet looked away almost immediately. “I didn't know how to tell you.”
“You don't have to explain everything perfectly,” Mommy replied.
“But I should've—”
“No.”
The answer came so quickly that her pet stopped.
Mommy softened her expression. “You don't have to come to your owner with everything figured out. That's not what I expect from you.”
Her pet hesitated. “Then... what do you expect?”
“I expect you to tell me what you can,” Mommy said. “I'll listen. We'll figure out the rest together.”
Her pet swallowed. “And if it's too much?”
“Then we deal with too much.”
“What if you don't like what I need?”
“I'll tell you.”
“And if I disappoint you?”
Mommy gently caught her chin before she could look away.
“Pet.”
Her pet met her eyes.
“Don't decide for me how I'm supposed to feel,” Mommy said quietly.
Her pet took a small breath. “Yes, Mommy.”
“Good girl.”
The words immediately made her relax.
For a moment neither of them spoke, Mommy continued stroking her hair, slow and absent-minded.
“Being my pet doesn't mean you stop being yourself,” Mommy said.
“I know,” her pet murmured.
“No, you don't.”
Her pet frowned. “I don't?”
“Not yet.” Mommy gave her a small smile. “And that's okay.. you're going to learn.”
Her pet shifted against her.
“What if I get too dependent on you?”
“Then I'll notice.”
“And what happens then?”
“We talk about it.”
“That sounds very simple when you say it.”
Mommy laughed softly. “It can be.”
Her pet gave her a doubtful look.
“You make everything complicated,” Mommy added.
“I do not.”
“You absolutely do.”
Her pet tried not to smile. “I'm your pet, i'm allowed to be complicated.”
“Allowed?” Mommy raised an eyebrow.
Her pet hesitated.
“...Maybe.”
Mommy smiled. “That's better, little one.”
That finally made her laugh.
The laughter faded after a moment, and her pet became quiet again.
“What if I need you more than I should?” she asked.
Mommy's expression softened.
“There's no magic number for how much you're allowed to need someone,” she said.
Her pet looked down.
“I don't want you to stay because you're afraid I'll fall apart without you,” Mommy continued. “I want you to come to me because you trust me. There's a difference.”
“I do trust you,” her pet said.
“I know.”
“I really do.”
“I know, little one.”
Her pet moved closer, resting her cheek against Mommy's chest.
“I like when you call me that,” she admitted.
“Little one?”
She nodded.
“And pet.”
Mommy raised an eyebrow. “That's because you are my pet.”
A shy smile appeared.
“Yes, Mommy.”
“And I'm your...?”
Her pet looked up at her.
“My owner.”
“That's right” Mommy replied.
There was no arrogance in her voice. She didn't need any. She said it with the quiet certainty of someone who knew exactly what their relationship meant.
After a moment, her pet spoke again.
“Sometimes that scares me.”
“What does?” Mommy asked.
“How much I want this.”
Mommy's hand slowed.
Her pet took a breath.
“Having someone I can come home to. Someone I can just... stop around. It sounds wonderful, but if I let myself have that, then I have something to lose.”
Mommy was silent for a few seconds before answering.
“Yes.”
Her pet lifted her head. “Yes?”
“Yes,” Mommy repeated. “You do.”
That wasn't the answer she'd expected.
Mommy gently wiped a tear from beneath her eye.
“Caring about someone always gives them the ability to hurt you,” she said. “That's part of it.”
Her pet stared at her.
“That isn't very reassuring,” she whispered.
“I wasn't trying to reassure you with a lie,” Mommy replied.
Her pet was quiet for a second.
Then she laughed softly. “You're terrible at comforting people.”
Mommy smiled. “I seem to be doing all right so far.”
“Maybe.”
“Definitely.”
Her pet rolled her eyes and settled back against her.
After a while, she whispered, “So what am I supposed to do with that fear?”
“Tonight?” Mommy asked.
“Yes.”
“Nothing.”
Her pet looked up. “Nothing?”
“Nothing,” Mommy repeated. “Tonight, you let Mommy take care of you. Tomorrow can wait.”
“And tomorrow?”
“Tomorrow you get up, have your day, make your own choices, and come back to me if you want to.”
Her pet raised an eyebrow. “If I want to?”
Mommy gave her a knowing look.
“You're already planning to.”
A small smile appeared.
“Maybe I am.”
“I know my pet,” Mommy said.
Her pet shook her head, amused.
Mommy pulled the blanket a little higher around her.
“But there's one thing I expect from you.”
Her pet's expression became serious.
“What?”
“The truth,” Mommy said.
She waited.
“Even when it's uncomfortable, even when you're embarrassed, especially then.”
“What if I don't know how to say it?”
“Then say that.”
“That's it?”
“That's it.”
Her pet considered it for a moment.
“I can do that.”
“Good girl.”
The words were quiet, but they made her relax again.
A few seconds passed.
“Mommy?”
“Yes, pet?”
“Don't let me disappear into this.”
Mommy's expression changed.
She touched her cheek.
“I won't.”
“Promise?”
“I promise to remind you who you are.”
Her pet nodded slowly.
“And if I forget?”
“Then I'll remind you again.”
She hesitated.
“And if I get stubborn?”
Mommy smiled.
“Then I'll deal with my stubborn little pet.”
Her pet laughed softly.
“You make me sound impossible.”
“You are sometimes.”
“Mommy.”
“What?”
“Be nice.”
“I am being nice.”
“You're teasing me.”
“That's allowed.”
Her pet shook her head, smiling despite herself, then the smile slowly faded.
“I don't want tonight to end.”
Mommy's arm tightened gently around her.
“You don't have to think about that yet.”
“But what if—”
“Pet.”
She stopped.
“Stay here,” Mommy said.
Her pet took a slow breath.
“Here.”
“Good.”
Mommy kissed the top of her head.
“That's enough for tonight.”
Her pet closed her eyes.
“Are you staying?”
“Yes.”
“For real?”
Mommy smiled.
“For real.”
Her pet opened one eye.
“Say it properly.”
Mommy let out a quiet laugh.
“Your Mommy is staying.”
That finally seemed to be enough.
“Goodnight, Mommy,” her pet whispered.
“Goodnight, pet.”
A few moments passed before her pet spoke again, almost too quietly to hear.
“I like being yours.”
Mommy looked down at her.
“And I like being the person my pet chose to trust,” she replied.
Her pet smiled against her chest.
Then she fell asleep.
Mommy stayed awake a little longer, one hand resting gently against her back. Not holding her there. Not keeping her from leaving.
Just reminding her, even in sleep, that she wasn't alone.
Because being an owner wasn't about possession.
It was about knowing what someone had placed in your hands—and being careful enough not to break it.
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario